Hey all, any of you noticed it’s 2013? Whenever the hell did that happen?! I’m wondering if you feel like I do at the beginning of the year. Maybe like you need to poop out a 5 pound turkey/pie/alcohol baby? Or like you have ten thousand things you would like to commit yourself to but those darned 2 weeks the kids were out of school really mucked up your to-do list so now you’ll be playing catch-up until Spring Break? Or like this new year has so much gorgeous promise to fulfill that you might just burst from excitement before anyone can say “resolution”? I thought so, me too.
Here’s how this worked out for me this year.
1) New Year’s
Resolutions Really Great Ideas : Because I despise anything that remotely resembles a resolution, it took until January 14th for me to wake the hell up and realize it was time to start anew with some highly motivating and totally un-resolution-like “goals”. New family goals, new business goals, new alcohol consumption goals. The thing that finally shook me up was a friend’s forward of an inspirational quote from a life coach she has been following. Lo and behold, 7 lb. 8 oz. baby Jesus led me to click her link (you wanna’ try it? Click here, click here!) and I was met by the glorious “Badass Dare Challenge”. Here’s the thing about me – I don’t pass up a dare. Not only do I not pass it up, I kick it’s ass. And since this one actually had “ass” in the title, I figured it was perfect for me. I’m not going to divulge much about this, except to say that Amy E. Smith, aka “The Joy Junkie” is a life/business coach after my own heart. She wears glorious amounts of eyeliner and cusses like a sailor. Love her. If you need a swift kick in the ass this is the gal for you – oh, and did I mention that the 10 day course that just ended today was *free*? And all the vids can still be accessed online? Mmmmhmmm, get up there and click. I dare you. (and yo, that was totally not a paid endorsement. I just really like what she does.)
2) Another super awesome goal of mine is to definitely, without a question cut out wine for a
month week at least until Friday afternoon. Last weekend I was spoiled with three amazing nights of fun, the first an overnight date with hubby, the second a family date with friends, and the third a girls’ night out to Lady Gaga. All of this alcohol amazingness is evident in the Jersey Shore-esque profile pic that I posted on facebook while still tipsy from the night before. It’s like I thought I was 20 again. And now I feel like Bridget Jones. Must. Cut. Back. (And no need to rush off to facebook, I changed the picture about 5 minutes before sitting down to write this blog, ha!)
3) The final super awesome goal of mine is to get my booty back to yoga. And what you gotta’ know is that yoga, for me, is like church. I missed all of last week due to a thousand reasons that run the gamut from heartbreaking to life affirming. How that can happen all within 7 days I do not know. What I do know is that I need my center. I need my grounding. This world is so precious, and so so very fleeting. Which leads me to a few additional items that I just thought of now and am typing spontaneously which (spoiler alert) I rarely do on this here blog. Read on.
4) Snuggle my kids more, even if this means that little boy limbs and toes threaten to overtake my
Is it considered hazing if this is my own child and I’m acting out of love?
5) Make time stop when it matters most. Even if that means we play with butterflies for half an hour first putting them in flower bushes then pulling them out then cheering as they fly away from the sprinklers then fishing them out of the pool with a net until mama realizes she’s almost late for yoga (refer to item 3!) and we all scramble inside to brush teeth and get to school.
And I think he’s never been happier.If I hadn’t joined these two monsters outside I would have missed out on this face. So serious. So totally him. Moments before this he was crooning “It’s so detailed, and so beautiful, mama!”
6) Kiss my husband on the lips more, for no reason. Like even if I’m not looking for nookie. I’ll spare you the photo on that one.
I’m stopping with 6, despite the fact that I have a notebook full of extra awesome motivating plans for this year – many of which I will someday share with you, and some of which are still super top secret. I’ll let you know the details as soon as I’m allowed, promise!
So now it’s your turn! Inspire me with your plans this year. Do you plan to take up knitting? Lacrosse? Opera? Less dishes, more skydiving? Do tell!
Peace and love you you all, and Happy official New Year, from me.