I am writing this from jury duty

5 Nov

And to be honest, I couldn’t be happier.

They have totally free Wifi here – which not even Starbucks is willing to give up without a fight – and it’s as quiet as a damned college library. I can even hear the air whistling past the wiry nose hairs of the guy sitting next to me. And in some grossly odd kind of way I find it soothing.

I suppose I like it for the same reasons that I liked libraries as a kid. Everyone looking downward, in our own little bubbles, a forced silence that none of us are brave enough to break for fear that the larger than life powers that be might slap a ruler on our desks.

And this is meaningful for me because if you give me a short stretch of silence I’m the first to fill it up. It’s not out of nervousness or any existential fear of empty space, but rather that I really just have so much I’m dying to say.

So when, in a room like this, I’m forbidden to exercise my verbal muscle, I get to spill it all onto a fresh white page like this. And that’s when I’m reminded that oftentimes writing a whole lot of nothing can be so much more gratifying than talking about so many somethings.

Aaahhhhhh. Now doesn’t that feel better.

8 Responses to “I am writing this from jury duty”

1. Mehran Moshfeghi November 6, 2010 at 4:31 am #

Very cool blog. I don’t know how you find the time!

I have to do jury duty in Nov. I did not know they had wifi. Now I will take my laptop with me.

• Anjale November 6, 2010 at 4:33 am #

Mehran, I find the time in jury duty. And when the rest of the world is sleeping.

2. Gina Azurin November 6, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

thanks for the invite…. this is a nice and fun way to unwind, reading your blogs!!!! love it!!!

3. Claire November 7, 2010 at 1:15 am #

Love the new blog!

4. Arian November 8, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

What city were you in? Were you visiting Lerol at the Torrance court house? I enjoyed my free wi-fi there too.

5. Anjale November 8, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

Yes, Arian, it was Lero. He made it about as fun as it could be, given the circumstances. A surprisingly charming experience, really.