I’d like to fulfill your expectation here and launch into a heartfelt composition about the unconditional love and support of family and friends that have shared their priceless and immeasurable virtue with us…yada yada yada…because the greatest gifts are those of the heart…yada…and so I am eternally grateful…yada…love and gratitude…yada yada.
Sorry, I’m not going to. But you’ll thank me.
Because with Valentine’s Day coming up in just under a week, I’ve been racking my brain about what to give my dear sweet husband. And as those of you who know us know – this is no easy task. Each holiday we challenge each other and ourselves to outdo (and I say that in the most loving and least competitive of ways) the gifts that have come before. Christmas, Valentine’s Day, birthdays, anniversaries, first date anniversary, Groundhog Day, Assistant’s Day, Talk Like a Pirate Day…you get the idea.
I always begin my gifting process with a short review of what has come before, and in doing so this year have realized that I may have some fellow overextended mothers/fathers/husbands/wives out there who might benefit from a few suggestions. Because Lord knows I’m always scrambling. So here you have it. My all time favorite top 5 gifts received over the last 10 years. And if any of these work for you, or if you have any you’d like to add to the list, please feel free to comment here. I’m always on the lookout for more!
5) iPad – I know, I’m shallow. But that’s why I’m starting with this one. It just gets better as the list counts down, promise. Total cost: Way too much.
4) Photo book entitled “Brothers”, in which hubby compiled every single photo ever taken of our boys together. And he had extra copies made so they can each have one of their own when they head off to college (unless they decide to live at home forever with me, which I would thoroughly approve of). Total cost: $100.00 each.
3) Engraved watch. Back story: Hubby had a watch that I coveted. He knew this, but also really liked his watch as it was, of course, HIS watch. One birthday he selflessly handed it over to me in a tiny wrapped box, complete with the engraving, “Love from your boys”. Total cost: $35.00. Proof that “outdoing” must not break the bank. Not always.
2) Leather Moleskine notebook cover, etched with our oldest son’s first drawing of an octopus. Still carry it in my purse every day. Total cost: A surprisingly affordable $60.00. Check out www.EngraveYourBook.com
1) An original song about the birth of our first son. Lyrics written by hubby, music written and performed by my dad. Elicited a flash flood of tears and still does to this day. Total cost: Nothin’ but love. Take a peek…
Someday I’ll reveal the top 5 gifts I’ve given to hubby. For now, I’m going to keep it all a secret until Monday comes, and wish you all happy hunting!