Little Cherokee people

20 Nov

Today it’s raining. When this happens in LA the city goes hog wild and word on the street is it’s no longer safe to venture out. For me that’s welcome news since I adore these half dozen gloomy days a year, and ritualistically light a fire and pour some tea.

This morning the weather gifted us with a list of plans rained out. Sensing a day of rest, my right brain took a hasty dump all over it. Checklists and visions of productivity exploded in a menacing thought bubble over my head. Sunday had suddenly become Monday. I turned grouchy. Then something magical happened.

After early morning pancakes and legos the boys opened the back door and looked out at the rain. They commiserated with one another, then proceeded to tear off their clothes and run a wild naked rain dance around the pool. It was the best twenty minutes of my recent life, watching my kids display the determined joy of childhood. When the hell did that change for me? I was suddenly in one big rush to change it back.

I’d love to tell you I’m running around naked right now. I’m not. But I am cracking the hell up with my kids. They truly rock. And giving them the space to prove it has been the greatest thing I’ve done all year.

Check out these crazy kids. Maybe they’ll inspire you do do something hog wild yourself.

6 Responses to “Little Cherokee people”

1. kuophoto November 20, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

Love love love!! Whoop!! Grrrr! Woo-hoo!! The best! I’m comin’ over next time to strip naked & run around with ALL of you! 😀

• Anjale November 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

Alice, we will so have you! I’m sure Mei Mei and Mason would make quite a mischievous pair in the rain 😉

2. Kevin November 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

This was your best blog so far. Thanks Anj!

– Kevin

• Anjale November 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

Aw, shucks Kev, thank you! And give those kids of yours a squeeze for me too.

3. Winkee November 21, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

(Really, really disappointed that you and Kevin didn’t join the boys.) I also have great memories of my once-little guys disappearing after bath time, only to be found playing pirate in the backyard while stark naked. I didn’t have film in my camera (which gives this memory a time/date stamp).

• FreeTheMom March 1, 2013 at 8:06 am #

Hahaha, no one but no one would have wanted to see those pictures!!!