Meet the girls – our chicks are here!

21 Aug

Aaagh, this has been the most exciting day! You may remember I mentioned that we have been thinking of raising chickens. Well, the boys are between summer school and the start of the new school year, so we are using the next 3 weeks to brood 5 new baby chicks and introduce them to their coop! Eek!

Our girls hatched yesterday in Connecticut and were packaged up and mailed just hours later through the good ol’ US Postal Service. I called our local post office this morning in the hopes that our girls had arrived in the 9 am shipment to avoid some of the daytime heat and, sure enough, there they were. The boys and I freaked out, grabbed the camera, ran to the car, took a celebratory photo, and jammed up the hill to the post office. Little dude was this excited.

Here’s the face again.

And again.

We waited in line for the longest five minutes of our lives, and when it was our turn, stepped up to the counter. When I explained to the clerk that we were picking up live chicks he cackled. The news apparently made his day. After another agonizing five minutes in the back the sweet man returned with a cheeping cardboard box of babies! For real, that’s how they do it. Here the boys are in the post office with the new arrivals. They were almost as excited as I was.

Can I just say that with all the world’s modern technology and schtick, the miracle of life is still the greatest feat of all. The boys agreed.

That last pic was the boys getting ready to open the box after I had peeked in for a preliminary quality check and successfully counted five fluffy little babies. The company suggested that the box not be opened in front of children…cringe. But the girls were all good! Fluffy! Chirpy! Adorable!

Because it’s late and because I have so many pictures to sift through, I’m just going to give you all a brief introduction to our newest family members. More pics of playtime, family time, and dog + chicken time to come soon. But first, the boys opening the box. Glee!

“Penny” (Buff Orpington). This girl was named by little dude (and mommy) because of the copper color she will develop as she gets older.

“Rosie” (Easter Egger). Believe it or not, this chick will grow up to lay blue and green eggs. I know, right?! Big bro thoughtfully named her something colorful to match.

“Tootsie” (Salmon Faverolles). Mine, mine, mine! Okay, they all belong to the family, yes, but we each got to name one, and this girl was mine. My grandma Lisa’s nickname was Tootsie, need I say more? Ah well, there is more…this little lady also has 5 toes, whereas most chickens only have 4. Hence, Tootsie. See, total sense making here.

“Zippy” (Barred Plymouth Rock). My godmom named this gal about a month ago, and true to form she lives up to her namesake. This little one’s got legs! Weird how that happens, isn’t it?

“Bell” (Buff Brahma). Hubby claimed this one. Buff = strong. Brahma = bull. So the big man decided to name his girl Bull. To which I said, you know she’s a girl, right?! To which he said, Bell. And I was all, as in cow bell? He nodded, we shook on it, and Bell she is. (Little dude has since tried to lengthen it to Isabelle and then shorten it again to Izzy – papa’s not falling for it, so Bell she remains).

More to come tomorrow! xoxo from mama and the girls (who now outnumber papa, the boys, and the boy dogs … girls : 6, boys : 5. Woohoo!)

18 Responses to “Meet the girls – our chicks are here!”

1. Trina McElroy August 21, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

OMG!!! Joy! Joy! Joy! Perfect way to end my night! In gratitude!

2. happylittlekiwi August 21, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

They are just adorable (especially Tootsie!) Your boys look so happy!

• FreeTheMom August 22, 2012 at 6:21 am #

Yea, Tootsie is so my girl…fluffy little runt 😉

3. aryan August 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

How exciting & fun! What a great job to capture all the excitement & joy 🙂

• FreeTheMom August 22, 2012 at 6:19 am #

This time goes by fast so I am crouched and ready for action with the camera, I tell you!

4. Clarissa August 21, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

Wow , these chicks are so cute….:)

5. KK August 22, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Eeeeeeep! I am in love! Why do I feel the need to throw you a pink-themed baby shower? I cannot wait to meet them and squish them just a little.

• FreeTheMom August 22, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Um, yes, can we puh-lease do that!

6. Aoxa August 22, 2012 at 8:24 am #

Welcome to the OBSESSION. 🙂 You started out with ONE more then I did. If you don’t have restrictions in your town, be prepared for Chicken Math :S

They are adorable! Your kids look very happy to have them 🙂

• FreeTheMom August 22, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Yes, the kids are SO happy to have them…but seriously I think I take the cake for that one. These girls are like daughters I never had or something kooky like that. I sure am giving them a lot to live up to! But just like my two kiddos, I’m sure they will do no wrong in my eyes 😉

• Aoxa August 22, 2012 at 10:09 am #

You have so much ahead of you! They get way more fun. Soon they will be flying all over the place and mock fighting. It is really something to see. I started out with grown pullets, but I was so enchanted by my first babies. When I witnessed my first chick hatch from my own girls, I choked up. It was something I never expected.

• FreeTheMom August 22, 2012 at 10:17 am #

I will completely be the same if I ever get to witness that. Birth is the most incredible miracle. I feel honored to have these girls even at just a day old!

• Aoxa August 22, 2012 at 10:46 am #

Oh and to see a mother with her little chickies ❤ It's so sweet.

I will be following your blog, so I hope to hear more updates about your little girls!

7. Aoxa August 22, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Also, Tootsie is adorable! She would be one of my picks as well. There is something about furry legs!

8. Janis Byars August 25, 2012 at 6:32 am #