Target chic, yo

21 Jan

I’m a slave to Project Runway so, naturally, I am aflutter with excitement over the handful of big name designers like Isaac Mizrahi (a judge on said Project Runway) who have begun slinging their fashion greatness in the direction of the masses’ well loved Target clothing racks. Okay, I’m not aflutter, but lucky is the mom who can pick up baby wipes, a 7 lb bag of M&Ms, and a fabulous wrap dress in one fell swoop.

What I didn’t know is that just a few miles up the road from my local Target is the holy grail of discount designer shopping. On the corner of Manhattan Beach Blvd & Sepulveda is the fancy-schmanciest Tar-jay I have ever set foot in. I saw a clutch for $80 and a coat for $100. But what really blew me away was the freebie I received as I was walking out the door.

happy-bag-eating-kid

Not the kid, the bag, people, just look at that bag (I know you are puzzled and distracted by the rabid child eating the lovely bag, but stick with me here).

It’s true, I’m easily impressed. But who wouldn’t be dazzled by such re-useable goodness after years of struggling with antiquated, dolphin-strangling plastic? You, plastic bag, aside from protecting my hands from dog shit, are useless. You, always rolling around willy-nilly in the back of my SUV, totally incapable of doing the singular job for which you were designed unless I happen to be struck with the foresight to tie your effing handles in a knot. And who ever remembers to do that, for God’s sake? Please, do not depend on my memory to step in at the critical moment and intervene. Because I just won’t. As much as I’ll regret the scattered Tic Tacs and tampons in the back seat later, I just can’t, and I won’t. I’m stubborn like that.

But…for those of us willing to drive into fancy town there’s whole world of structured and functional totes handed out for free, just waiting to house our $20 pair of designer socks and Visine. Look at the quality of those handles…

rabid-child-eats-paper-bag

I know, I can’t explain this behavior either, but he really is encompassing my excitement in this shot, so I’m going with it.

I don’t care where you live, you must make it your resolution to track down your very own fancy-schmancy Target where you, too, will be dazzled by the generosity with which they distribute these gems. Makes everything inside it just a little more special, I tell ya’.

If anyone here knows the glory of which I am speaking please, in the name of the Lord, please do tell. I need to know I’m not crazy for vowing never to step into the layman’s Target again. Ever. Despite it’s convenient proximity to both my home and workplace. Never. Again.

Boom Shakalaka Boom Boom, people.

12 Responses to “Target chic, yo”

1. Sharon January 21, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

That Target is around the corner from my house. Manhattan Beach ‘outlawed’ plastic bags last year. That’s when those bags showed up at Target. I have to say, I am also impressed by their quality. Their quality, also, makes me think carefully about whether or not I need to take one every time I walk in there (about 3 times a week). Most often, now, I walk out with my purchases in my hands or stuck in my purse. I only take those bags if it’s really necessary…and shouldn’t that be the way it should be, anyway?

• FreeTheMom January 21, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

Yes, yes, emphatically YES! I never forget my cloth bags at Trader Joe’s, but somehow I have a block when it comes to Target…I’ll work on that! The upside: I do love anything re-useable, and with quality like that Target should be happy to know that I’ll be advertizing for them as I carry that bag around town this week πŸ™‚

• Sharon January 22, 2013 at 7:03 pm #

Exactly! I never remember my reusable bag at Target but ALWAYS at Trader Joe’s! What is that about?!

• FreeTheMom January 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

If you ever figure it out please do share with the group! Mother Nature will thank you πŸ˜‰

2. Janis Byars January 21, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

That is awesome! They don’t have them at the damn Redondo Beach store!

Sent from my iPhone

• FreeTheMom January 22, 2013 at 6:50 am #

I know, right?! And with that new Walmart around the corner they are going to need to STEP IT UP!!! I’m staring a petition…

3. Processing the Light January 22, 2013 at 5:04 am #

Yes, you should be excited and scream from the mountain tops! I hate to tell you this but here in MN we have had them for years. They started carring them in Super Target and Target Greatland especially for groceries and we were thrilled!

• FreeTheMom January 22, 2013 at 6:49 am #

Ugh, LA is so behind… πŸ˜‰

4. Trina McElroy January 22, 2013 at 5:30 am #

YES YES YES!!! I feel you sister! 100%. There is a Target so much closer to where I live but we make the trek to MB!!!!!

• FreeTheMom January 22, 2013 at 6:49 am #

See what happens when you start sharing your feelings?! I’m so not alone in this world!!!! πŸ˜‰

5. Aryan January 24, 2013 at 10:54 am #

You are not alone my good friend! The first time I saw these at MN store I was so delighted that asked the lady at register, β€œare you serious?” Who knew a paper bag could make us so happy? 

• FreeTheMom January 24, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Kinda’ crazy, huh! Is Target aware of the joy they are spreading?!